To drive the bellows in the foundry, and to pump up water from the pits was required hydropower. In Pershyttan utilized the water power of Smygare stream for this purpose. Several wells have been found in different parts of the stream. The existing wheel arch is derived from about 1828. This is a water wheel made of wood, 11.2 m in diameter. It is newly built in recent years, and are often run in summer. The wheel drives a 200 m long rod once, as for the power on. Rod occasion was in use until 1930.
Pershyttans mountain man village dates back to the 1300s.